Find The Answers You Need To Take The Next Step
- How many scholarships are awarded and what is the value of the scholarship?
The Buick Achievers Scholarship Program will award:
- 100 Buick Achievers National Scholarships of up to $25,000 renewable for up to four years, and one additional year for those entering a five-year engineering program.
- How do I apply to the Buick Achievers Scholarship Program?
Only online applications will be accepted. To access the application, click the Apply link. Carefully read the scholarship program guidelines and follow the complete list of application procedures.
The first step in the application process is to register as an applicant. Once you register you must activate your account by opening the automated email sent to you and click its activation link. You may then login and complete the application. All applications must be submitted electronically between January 7, 2013 and 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, February 28, 2013.
- When can I apply for the scholarship?
The application opens on January 7, 2013 and closes at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, February 28, 2013.
- Who is eligible for the Buick Achievers Scholarship Program?
- Be high school seniors or graduates or be current undergraduate students
- Plan to enroll in full-time undergraduate study at an accredited four-year college or university based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico for the entire 2013-14 academic year (excluding proprietary and online schools)
- Plan to major in a specified course of study that focuses on Engineering/Technology or select Design and Business-related programs of study. See the list of eligible majors.
- Be U.S. citizens and have permanent residence in the United States or Puerto Rico
- What does the scholarship pay for?
The scholarships can be used towards the total cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies, required equipment, room and board and other allowable expenses.
- Can the scholarship be used at any college?
The scholarship can be used at any four-year accredited college or university in the United States or Puerto Rico (excluding proprietary and online schools).
- Are the scholarships provided by the Buick Achievers Scholarship Program renewable?
The awards are renewable for the number of years specified or until a bachelor's degree is earned, whichever occurs first. Renewal is contingent upon maintaining a cumulative 3.0 grade point average, full-time enrollment and continuing to major in an eligible field of study.
- What are the eligible majors?
The scholarships must be used for one of the following eligible majors:
- Automotive Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Controls Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Energy Engineering
- Engineering Technology
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Information Technology
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Plastic/Polymers Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Graphic Design
- Industrial Design
- Product Design
- Transportation Design
- Business Administration
- Industrial Hygiene
- International Business
- Labor & Industrial Relations
- Management Information Systems
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Production Management
- Supply Chain/Logistics
- What if I am declared a provisional recipient and the documentation I send does not match what I stated on my application?
If your documentation does not support what you submit on your application, you will not receive a Buick Achievers Scholarship; an alternate will be selected to receive the award.
- If I am selected as a recipient and I change my major, what happens?
You will be allowed to keep your scholarship if you change to another eligible major. If you change to a major that is not listed as an approved major, your scholarship will be forfeited.
- Can I submit a paper application?
No. All applications must be submitted electronically via the official online application website by 5:00 p.m. EST, February 28, 2013. A paper copy of the online application will not be accepted.
- I didn't receive the activation email when I registered. What should I do?
Check that you entered your email address correctly. The email was sent from email@example.com. If you did not add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Contact or Address Book, it may have been filtered into 'junk mail'. Find the email and click the link to activate your account.
- Where can I find more information about the required family financial data on the application?
Specific instructions for each financial data question are found on the financial data page of the application. You should read these instructions carefully before completing the financial data section of the application.
- Where do I send my transcript?
DO NOT send a transcript or any other documentation at this time. Provisional recipients will be notified and will be required to submit additional information.
- Can I get a copy of my application?
Scholarship Management Services is not able to provide copies of applications. Scholarship Management Services recommends you print a hard copy of your application from the Review Application page for your records. After you submit the online application, no changes can be made. You will no longer have access to your application account.
- I meant to save my application but I submitted it instead. How can I access my application to make changes?
After your application is submitted, no changes can be made. Your only option is to submit an entirely new application; to do so; you will need to create a new registration account using a different email address.
- How are recipients selected?
Scholarship Management Services has sole responsibility for selecting recipients based on students' academic achievement, financial need, participation and leadership in community and school activities, work experience, demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in the automotive or related industries and other criteria, such as, being a first-generation college student, female, minority, military veteran or a dependent of military personnel.
- How will I know if I've been selected to receive a scholarship?
All applicants will be notified of their status by late April 2013. Provisional award recipients will be sent notification requesting additional information be mailed to Scholarship Management Services to validate self-declared application information. These provisional recipients must respond completely by the given deadline for further scholarship consideration. Non-recipients will receive notification via email.
- If I'm a recipient, how do I receive my scholarship?
Scholarship Management Services processes the Buick Achievers Scholarships in two checks on August 15 and December 30. Checks are mailed to each recipient's home address and made payable to the school.
- Who provided the funds for the Buick Achievers Scholarship Program?
The funds for the scholarship come from the GM Foundation, not the General Motors Company. The GM Foundation is a 501c(3) organization that is separate from GM.
- Who can I contact if I have further questions?
If you need additional help after reviewing these Frequently Asked Questions, you may contact Scholarship Management Services using the Help page. GM employees are unable to assist you.
PLEASE NOTE: Scholarship Management Services will respond to application inquiries received in their office by 12:00 noon Central Time on Wednesday, February 27, 2013. Inquiries received after that date and time may NOT be read or responded to in time to meet the application submission deadline.
You may also email email@example.com. (Include your phone number and the best time to receive a phone call between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. CT (-6 GMT) with all inquires to Scholarship Management Services. Or call 1-800-537-4180.
Media outlets can visit http://media.buick.com/ for more information.